Saturday, April 4, 2009

French Chocolate Cake


So the folks where I work are aware that I have a food blog since a lot of what I make gets distributed at the office. A co-worker of mine, Stephen, sent me a recipe for French Chocolate Cake the other day. He said he had tried a piece a few days earlier and that it was the best he's ever tasted and thought I might like to blog it. The recipe comes from a friend of the family, Louise Rubert.

I made the cake, tried the cake, and guess what, Stephen was right. This cake is delicious. In fact it's so good, NONE was brought to work. The remaining slices are frozen in my refrigerator. LOL

Ingredients and Method:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 egg whites


Frosting:

1/2 cup butter - melted
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup sour cream
Add powdered sugar to desired consistency


Mix sugar and butter together until well blended. Add cocoa, sour cream and salt. Add flour, baking soda and 1/2 cup water and mix thoroughly. Add vanilla extract and 1/4 cup water and mix well.

Beat egg whites until very stiff and gently fold into cake batter until fully incorporated.

Pour into 13 x 9 greased and floured pan.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.

Let cake cool completely before frosting. After I made this cake and tasted it I decided the next time I make it I'm going to try a little sea salt on the frosting to give it that popular sweet/salt combination.



Enjoy!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hey ... I was going to ask you about this cake ever since you sent me the pictures demonstrating your light box results. I have been "wondering" if you were going to post it. YEAH .... now I can try it!