Saturday, November 1, 2008

Crockpot Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

So as I said, I went to the Seattle Food and Wine Experience and had a bowl of Pumpkin Soup made by the Herb Farm Restaurant. It was SO good I immediately went on a search when I got home to try and find a recipe that might be close to it.

Of course I failed. That soup was the ultimate. BUT, I did find the following soup and the ingredients intrigued me and it did NOT disappoint.... It was Excellent.....you gotta try it.


Adapted from Gourmet and The Smitten Kitchen.

Great find SK, thanks!

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

Three 15 1/2 ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup minced shallot
4 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
4 cups beef broth
a 16-ounce can pumpkin puree (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice (I used a hamhock, cooked and then trimmed of meat and discarded)
3 to 4 tablespoons Red Wine vinegar

Garnish: sour cream and chive or parsley

In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.

In a large skillet cook onion, shallot, and garlic until beginning to brown. Add to crockpot. Add cumin, salt, and pepper. Add hamhock. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and sherry and wine vinegar until combined and cook on medium until for 6 - 8 hours. During the last half hour add 1/2 cup Sherry to 'brighten" he mixture. Remove hamhock, slice meat off the hock and add to crockpot. Discard bone.


Season soup with salt and pepper. (I know you all know how to season a crockpot, but read my hint anyway.... How to salt a crockpot soup.)

Serve soup garnished with sour cream and chive or parsley.

No comments: